Now, isn´t it awesome? This project was huge, and time consuming, and a lot of fun. It also was probably the longest project I´ve worked on since I started working in school, and I´m super proud I finished it.
I started in February, I think - I made a small cardboard template, a square of 13x13 cm, and everytime I had some time to sit down, I grabbed some fabric scraps and cut rectangles.
When Tim read bedtime stories, or when I had a friend over, or just after dinner, sitting at the table and chatting. On some evenings, I only got 5 squares, on some, I got a couple more. Alltogether, I think, this skirt consist of around 250 squares, and when I ran out of yellow, I could raid my friend´s fabric stack, which was pretty cool.
I sorted the rectangles by colors, to form long bands, and then rings from those bands - each ring is 1,5 times longer than the last one, roughly measured. I made the first layer - the white one, and gathered it, so it was as long as the black jersey I used, then gathered the second row, the blue one, to make it as long as the previous, white one, and so on.
The last row, the red one, had a lenght of 5, 5 metres - cool, huh?
I finished it with some blue bias tape I still had at home - I think some lace would have looked amazing, but I had made that skirt completely without buying anything, and I wanted to keep it that way.
I had my gorgeous, blue-haired Eva pose for me wearing it, but intentionally, I made this skirt for me.
She says it´s not her style, anyway, which is a good thing, because that way, I can wear it more often (and it is totally my style!),
Details in the fabric... because it came to my mind while sewing, and, well, seeing all the details in the fabric. Also, since this was a long project, I had plenty of time to listen to music, and while I was struggling to find enough yellow fabric scraps, well...